What to Do When Your Big Rig Breaks DownDecember 12, 2019 8:20 pm Leave your thoughts
Big rigs are designed for durability and performance, but breakdowns still happen. When a big rig breaks down, the first priority is to get the vehicle safely off the road and into a repair shop. Unfortunately, the size of big rigs makes it challenging to deal with breakdowns safely, effectively and quickly. With this in mind, it’s important to have a plan to deal with a breakdown in a big rig.
Dealing with a breakdown
Breakdowns happen for all kinds of different reasons, and they are usually unexpected. Regardless of why your rig might break down, though, there are a few key tips that can prepare you to deal with the situation:
- Pay attention to warning signs: There are usually some signs of damage that begin showing up before a breakdown occurs. Pay attention to odd smells and sounds, and look out for changes to the way your rig handles. If anything seems odd or concerning, reach out to a professional technician for help with inspection and repair services, if necessary.
- Keep up on preventative maintenance: A well-maintained rig is far less likely to break down than a rig that hasn’t been routinely serviced. Preventative maintenance can save you a lot of time, money and stress by keeping your rig in better operating condition and minimizing the risk of breakdowns happening in the first place.
- Stay focused: If your rig breaks down, it’s important to avoid panicking. Stay focused and get your rig moved to the safest place possible as quickly as you can. If a breakdown is imminent, but you still have control of your rig, steer it towards the shoulder and position your rig as far off the road as possible. Put your hazards on and take a moment to collect yourself before attempting to do anything else.
- Warn other drivers: Use flares and flags to warn other drivers of your rig’s position. This is especially important in stormy weather conditions, at night and in areas with poor visibility.
- Call for help: As soon as you can, call a dispatcher for help. A towing or roadside assistance service that specializes in big rig breakdowns is the best way to go for professional service. It’s a good idea to keep the contact information of one of these service providers on hand so you’ll always be prepared with the right information if you have to deal with a roadside breakdown.
Big rig breakdown
At J.H.T. Service & Repair, LLC, we understand how challenging it can be to deal with big rig breakdowns, and we are here to ensure our customers receive the roadside services they need to get back on the road safely. We offer 24/7 roadside assistance services and in-shop repairs to get your rig up and running again after a breakdown or repair issue. No matter what your needs may be or when you might need service, we are here and ready to help. Give us a call to find out more about what we have to offer.
Categorised in: Big Rig Breakdowns
This post was written by Writer