You don’t have to be a car whiz to know that transmission is a crucial component to any vehicle. Without a properly functioning transmission, your vehicle isn’t going anywhere anytime soon! The good news is that cars often present subtle hints that something’s not quite right before they break down. Continue reading to learn a few of the most common signs that you need to bring your car in for transmission service in La Salle, CO:
- Slipping gears: If you have an automatic transmission, your car’s computer tells the gears when to shift up or down. It’s a serious safety hazard if the computer is malfunctioning and the gears are slipping or losing traction. Bring your car in right away if your gears are slipping to avoid an accident and prevent injury to yourself or others. If you can’t make it in safely, call us to give you a tow.
- Grinding or shaking in gear: Does your car rattle around a little bit each time the gear shifts? We shouldn’t have to tell you that’s not normal. You should be concerned about even the smallest shake. Bring your car in right away to have it inspected by a mechanic.
- Car won’t engage in gear: You know you have a problem if your car won’t shift into drive or reverse. Luckily, this issue can be corrected by changing your transmission fluid, which isn’t a very costly procedure and is something you can do yourself.
- Strange noises: As a rule of thumb, any strange noises coming from your vehicle are a sign that something is amiss. Whining, humming or clunking sounds coming from under the hood could be an indication that your transmission is having issues. Luckily, these sounds can often be corrected with a transmission fluid change.
- Burning smell: Much like weird noises, strange smells coming from under the hood are never a good sign. A burning smell is often an indication that the transmission fluid is overheating and not doing its job of lubricating the transmission. Bring your car in right away to have it inspected by a professional.
- Low or leaking transmission fluid: You might not even have to get into your vehicle to notice that you have a transmission issue! A pool of dark red liquid left under your car means that your transmission fluid is leaking, which obviously isn’t a good sign. Not enough fluid means that there’s going to be too much friction in the transmission. Though that might not sound too bad, all of that friction could result in total transmission failure!
- Check engine light: Last, but certainly not least, a flashing or illuminated check engine light may be a sign of looming transmission failure. The check engine light can come on for a number of reasons, all of which need to be addressed by a pro.
Regardless of which transmission issue your vehicle is having, be sure to bring your car to J.H.T. Service & Repair, LLC for transmission service in La Salle, CO. We provide top-quality repair services for all sorts of vehicles, from trucks to farm equipment. Give us a call today to learn more about what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Transmission Service
This post was written by Writer